Are you a new music teacher or a veteran music teacher looking for some fresh ideas? Want to have a fantastic first day in music? Look no further! This is a tried and true set of lessons that will really hook your kids! Kid will leave that first day saying your class is SUPER FUN! If you can get that reputation, the kids will buy into all the amazing things you teach them in the future! Let’s have a fabulous first day in music!
Note: This file is included in the following money saving Back to School Music Lesson Plan Bundle.
Included in this File
- Detailed (yet editable) lesson plans for 1-3. State (GA) GPS Standards, National Music Standards, and National Core Arts Standards are marked.
- PowerPoints to guide the lesson for each level. (Google Slides version included)
- Links to any resources needed to complete the lesson. (List below)
- Essential Questions for you to post in your room.
- Video demonstration of the cup games.
Description of Lessons
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grade – Students will go through normal first day procedures (rules, etc.) and then practice a fun dance song so they can practice what a “space bubble” is. Then students will be introduced to a fun “nonsense” song with a wonderful cup activity. The game is differentiated in levels for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 3rd Grade plans also include an additional ice breaker game that is great for internalizing rhythm.
These lessons are meant to hook my students from the first day. I use the lessons to review things like singing voice, form, tempo, etc. I find that if I can give my class a reputation of “fun” then the students will buy into any lesson I give them in the future! These lessons are designed for my 45 minutes classes but you could modify them for 30 min or hour classes as needed.
This is meant to be a guide for your individual situation. Substitutions for any part of the lesson is acceptable. Additional items you need to teach the lesson directly as written that are NOT included.
- Class set of cups (plastic or disposable from the grocery store work).
- Book (optional): Down by the Bay. (affiliate link, read my full disclosure here).