Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater serves as an introduction for students to decode rhythms and learn how we group them into measures. Students will study the meter of 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 through composing and creating.
Included in this File
• Detailed (yet editable) lesson plans for 2nd Grade. State (GA) GPS Standards, National Music Standards, and National Core Arts Standards are marked. Feel free to edit for other grade levels.
• PowerPoint to guide the lesson.
• PDF version of the PowerPoint for you to import into your desired IWB (Absolutely NOT required to complete this lesson!).
• Note Images for PERSONAL use to create your own variations with provided templates.
• Worksheets to help scaffold students to success in demonstrating awareness of measure, meter, bar lines, double bar lines, time signature, and more!
Description of Lesson
• Previous Knowledge: Students should already be introduced to beat vs. rhythm and have beginning knowledge of whole, half, quarter, and sixteenth note (optional) and quarter rest.
• Students recently completed this lesson (though not a requirement).
• Lesson – Students review beat vs. rhythm using Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater. Then we use pumpkin visuals to group notes into groupings based on a given time signature. We practice identifying pumpkins that have the right and wrong number of beats for a given time signature. Then students are asked to compose their own pumpkin measures and then translate them onto a staff. Additional activities provided to extend/supplement the lesson to provide for differentiation.
This is meant to be a guide for your individual situation. Substitutions for any part of the lesson is acceptable. Additional items you need to teach the lesson directly as written that are NOT included.
• Pencils, Projector (Optional) non-pitched instruments. (You do NOT need an IWB but I have provided materials for you to use if you have one).