This is a great lesson plan for rhythm and dynamics composition for kindergarten or first grade. Students will learn a simple ostinato using quarter notes, eighth notes, and rest to accompany the book, Snowball Fight by Jimmy Fallon. Then students will explore adding dynamics to the ostinato. Finally, students will compose their own rhythm pattern complete with dynamics! Versions with traditional and stick notation are included!
Though this composition lesson plan was written to match the pacing for kindergarten in my district, it would be appropriate for 1st grade in many districts as well.
Included in this File
• Detailed (yet editable) lesson plans for kindergarten. State (GA) GPS Standards, National Music Standards, and National Core Arts Standards are marked. Feel free to edit for other grade levels (this lesson would work well for first grade in many situations).
• PowerPoint to guide the lesson – available in stick and traditional notation.
• PDF version of the PowerPoint for you to import into your desired IWB (Absolutely NOT required to complete this lesson!).
• Images for PERSONAL use to create your own variations with provided templates.
• Assessment papers for students to create their own snowball ostinato either with pencil and paper or with cotton balls.
Please take a look at the preview and feel free to ask questions before purchasing. The lesson plans are completely editable so you may adjust them for your individual situation. Additional items you need to teach the lesson directly as written that are NOT included.
• Snowball Fight, Pencils, Projector, non-pitched instruments, cotton balls (optional). (You do NOT need an IWB but I have provided materials for you to use if you have one).
NOTE: This does NOT include the book, Snowball Fight and is required for this lesson.
(Affiliate links – see my full disclosure policy here)
There are no reviews yet.